Most people only know 2 coffee varieties, robusta and arabica. Those who are interested in it, will also call itexcelsa and liberica. And varieties are often confused with types of coffee.
The true connoisseurs point out that these are not really names for the varieties, but for the varieties of trees on which on which certain beans grow. It turns out that each coffee tree can have many different varieties.
This is why it is quite difficult to classify them, because there can be both small bushes and giant ones – about 10 meters high.
In addition to the natural variety of varieties, today we also have those that are artificially bred by the efforts of breeders. Their attempts are not very successful, because coffee from artificially artificially bred coffee is of low quality. Therefore it is better to concentrate on its varieties, which were given to us by nature.
The main coffee varieties
Let’s look at popular varieties to make it easier for you to choose an option according to your preferences.
The Arabian tree is the most important and valuable species for today’s industrial fields. When we talk about the best varieties of coffee, we should understand that they have varieties.
Among Arabica beans, the most recognized are:
Arabica makes up about 70% of the total, so it is the undisputed leader of coffee in the world. Such popularity is due to the bright aroma and peculiar taste – the drink turns out sweet and has a slight acidity. It is up to each individual to decide for himself whether this is the best kind of Whether or not it is the best coffee, but its popularity is perfectly explained by its taste and aroma characteristics.
This type of coffee has a pungent taste and is characterized by a high degree of strength. Because of this. it’s become a very valuable ingredient in blends. For example, when the beverage is brewed in Italy, Robusta is a must-have ingredient in espresso blends. Thanks to these beans. These beans make for a thick and lustrous crema. They are easy to distinguish from other beans because they are small and rounded, with two tiny spots on the sides.
Popular coffee varieties are not just Robusta and Arabica.
Liberica is also commonly used, but mostly in blends. In its pure form. coffee in its pure form is of mediocre quality. Still the beans are not too good to fully satisfy the tastes of coffee gourmets. Liberica comes from West Africa and is now also Sri Lanka, the Philippines and Indonesia.
The coffee variety comes from Coffea Dewevrei trees, and excelsa is their most famous subspecies.
They reach up to 20 meters in height, which is why you may hear the name “High Coffee.” The beans
are added to high-end coffee blends.
Distinguish unblended coffee varieties that are harvested from trees of a common species. The name of these varieties They are usually named after the place or country where they grew. There are thousands of varieties On the market you can find thousands of varieties, each with its own special characteristics. For example:
- Medellin is a Colombian Arabica with a mild, sweet flavor and low acidity.
- Tarrazu is a Costa Rican Arabica with a rich, dense flavor. It has nutty notes and a bright flavor with a tropical accent.
- Blue Mantin from Jamaica is a rare arabica with a distinctive flavor and somewhat fruity aroma. The drink has a multi-layered aftertaste – it is expressive and sweet, you can feel the notes of milk chocolate.
Differences in taste
Because coffee varieties are so varied, it’s difficult to know all the nuances of flavors and aromas. This can only be done by professionals. It can also be confusing, because the beans are often grains are often blended to create new varieties. Cap testers, like professional tasters, they know all the ins and outs and recognize even the subtlest shades of flavor and aroma and taste thanks to their developed abilities.
Coffee labeling and classification
Coffee varieties are complicated to classify; there are many different criteria and labels. Typically, varieties are classified in seven steps. Consideration is given to:
- The country where the trees grew;
- The port where the beans come from;
- The species/subspecies of coffee tree;
- The name of the area (mountain, valley) or the nearest town
- Name of place where beans are grown (farm, estate)
- National quality classification system in the producing country
- The name of the producing company (commercial).
There are 3 main groups of producing countries – Asian, American and African. They are imported from there Green coffee of popular varieties. The criteria used to determine the quality of coffee beans vary from country to country. Labels may vary accordingly. Coffee The best quality coffee is identified by the letters “AA”, “AAA” or “AP”.
Which coffee is best for you?
- Arabica. This variety has a mild flavor with a tangy acidity. It is best for those who do not like too strong coffee drinks, and prefer a lighter.
- Robusta. It has a high caffeine content in beans. Compared to Arabica, this type of coffee is bitter and stronger. It is worth choosing it if you like a tart, rich coffee. You will rarely find Robusta in its pure form, but rather as part of a blend. The beans are not as rich in flavor as in Arabica.
- Blends are coffee blends. The varieties are combined to balance the drink for flavor, aroma, and richness. Each blend has a unique recipe and preparation technology. The most harmonious blend is considered the one with about 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta.
As you can see, there are different types and varieties of coffee. When choosing, you should also take into account Strength and roast level (the stronger the roast, the stronger and blacker the beverage. The stronger the roast, the stronger and blacker the beverage). Grind also plays a very important role. For most coffee machines, the appropriate grind is A very important role is also played by the grind, which is appropriate for most coffee makers, for brewing in a carafe – fine, and for a French press it is better to choose a coarse grind.
Keep this in mind when making your choice so you can enjoy your coffee drink to the fullest.